Week 32: Key change in my professional practice


Using Rolfe’s (2011) model of reflection, and Osterman and Kottkamp’s (2015) Cycle of Experiential Learning model, I will discuss the key change in my professional practice. As Osterman and Kottkamp record, reflective practice is a means by which practitioners can: develop a greater level of self-awareness about the nature and impact of their performance; develop an awareness that creates opportunities for professional growth and development and; make the links between theory and practice or the ideas from formal research and from personal experience.  

What?
The change in my professional practice that I am going to discuss is related to professional learning, one of the standards for the teaching profession, “Our Code, Our Standards” MOE (2017).  For professional learning, the standard requires teachers use inquiry, collaborative problem-solving and professional learning to improve professional capability to impact on the learning and achievement of all learners. Participation in the Mindlab course has allowed an intensive focus on my professional learning. It has been a while since I have been involved in a programme such as this.  Professional development for me has largely consisted of participating in courses and in the schools professional development programme. The Mindlab journey over the last 32 weeks, has exposed me to recent papers and research across a wide spectrum of topics and all of these have been most valuable. Within these teachings the major changes in my professional learning have been across the areas of 21st century skills, researching, upskilling and implementing digital technologies, and constant reflection.

So what?  
I am going to use the Cycle of Experiential Learning model to evaluate the changes in my professional development. 
Stage One: Problem Identification
I was aware that I was using digital technologies to a limited degree. According to the SAMR model, Puentedura (2012) they were only being used at a substitution level, that being for researching purposes and for publishing work only. This highlighted to me the need to upskill in this area, to learn and develop a classroom practice that supported 21st Century learning skills.
Stage Two: Observations and Analysis
I had a group of learners in my class who were disengaged during literacy sessions.  Their output was almost nonexistent. Their motivation almost zero and their behaviours problematic.   Hence the driver and my motivation to learn, research and implement more meaningful digital technologies within my programme.  Using the SAMR model, I could see the gap between where I was and where I needed to go. I needed to be using digital devices and apps at the transformation (modification and redefinition) stage rather than the enhancement (substitution and augmentation) stage where I was currently at.  
Stage Three: Abstract Reconceptualisation 
My search for new ideas or approaches found a plethora of tools that can support and benefit literacy, my chosen investigation area. As the ITL suggests  21st century skills such as: collaboration, knowledge  construction, self-regulation, real-world problem-solving and innovation, and the use of ICT for learning are important in today's education.  
Stage Four: Experimenting 
I have taken action using a couple of the tools coggle and Kahoot!.  The implementation of these is in the early stages, but the plan is to extend the use of them, to include more collaborative work, sharing and reflecting.  Initial student engagement with both these tools has been very positive and their literacy output improved.  With Kahoot! the learners are often asking and wanting to play, and are now starting to branch out to making their own game, allowing a more student centred and personalized approach to learning. 

What next?
I plan to continue with the implementation of the two tools as well as introducing more collaborative projects and blogging where engagement with others will be paramount.  What this course has reinforced to me is that “digital fluency” is such a natural part of a students life, and so it is very important for me to ensure when I use technology in my classroom that it is done in a meaningful way.  So I am keen to continue with my personal learning around how to embed technology in a project - based way so that my students gain new capabilities and confidence and have an enthusiasm and a passion for learning.  

Thank you Mindlab for what has been a challenging and most valuable journey.


Reference:

Innovative Teaching and Learning Research (ITL Research) Retrieved from

Ministry of Education (2017). Our code, our standards. Retrieved from https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/our-code-our-standards

Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B. (2015). Reflective practice for educators: professional development to improve student learning.(2nd ed.) New York: Skyhorse Publishing.

Puentedura,R. (2012) SAMR Thoughts for Design.Retrieved from

Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001) Critical reflection in running in nursing and the helping professions: a User’s Guide. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.


Comments