Week 31: Indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness


I am using Rolfe’s model of reflection to discuss Indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness  
What?
So what is cultural responsiveness? 
To answer this question it was helpful to me to revisit what culture is.  In the video “ Introduction to Culturally Relevant Pedagogy” culture is defined as the filters we apply as human beings to make sense out of the most ordinary things.  The video outlines the two different types of culture, namely, tangible and intangible.  Tangible is about crafts, music, technology and intangible is about  values, beliefs, feelings, opinions, perspectives and assumptions.  So being culturally responsive as a teacher is when we take students everyday lived cultural experiences and make the appropriate linkages between what they know and do and understand, and come up with examples, comparisons and contrasts.  As with good teaching practise it is about  understanding, caring, using students prior knowledge and bringing in all the cultural experiences in the classroom. It was good for me to be reminded that what matters most about culture is that students are not mere representatives of a cultural group. They are first and foremost individuals with needs and interests. The cultural experience of a student belonging to an ethnic group can vary depending on factors such as how long they have been in the country, their social class, their own experiences in the class and their community.  
In my discussion I want to focus on cultural responsiveness associated with learning activities and learning resources.  

So what?
I have chosen to look at my practise using the Milne’s Action Continuum (2017).  I like the diagrammatic representation that gives six clear stages to having a fully culturally sustaining practice. Within my classroom I would assess myself as fitting in to the 4th stage which is having some language and cultural content. I am using Te Reo in my classroom, however this is on a limited basis with simple phrases being used, we have Maori signs for areas of the classroom and use the Maori date.  During special celebration weeks I will acknowledge the various cultures.  There is an opportunity for students to belong to a Kapa Haka group.    

What now?
Personally I need to continue with my professional development in Te Reo, to use the resources available to me, within my school including students, family and whanau and other teachers, to assist me progressing to steps 5 and 6 on the Action Continuum. This needs to be done for all cultures within my class. I recognise this will require much focus and action.  And with the readings and research I have now done I know I need to be mindful not to group all students of an ethnic group into “one size fits all”. 


References 

Milne, B.A. (2013). Colouring in the white spaces: Reclaiming cultural identity in whitestream schools. (Doctoral Thesis, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand). Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10289/7868

Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001) Critical reflection for nursing and the helping professions: a User’s Guide. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.

Teaching Tolerance.( 2010, Jun 17). Introduction to Culturally Relevant Pedagogy. [video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTVjJuRaZ8



Comments