Week 29 Using social online networks in teaching
I am using Jay and Johnson's Reflective Model (2002) to consider my use
of social online networks in teaching.
Descriptive
So how is social media being used in my teaching?
Currently I am using three main types of social media; social curation with the use of pinterest, video through the use of youtube, and content / document by using slides and google drive. However I now intend to explore other types of social online networks I have become aware of through my Mindlab study.
Comparative
The Mindlab survey we completed on the use of social online networks, revealed that I was similar to the rest of group for two of the top four responses, namely videos and content/ document. The other top two responses from our group were social networks (facebook, google +) and blogs, neither of which I am currently using. This doesn't surprise me as blogging is an area that I am still to embrace, driven by my lack of knowledge, confidence and time to participate. I have to thank the Mindlab course for kick starting me on the journey to become a “blogger”. As I said confidence that I have something worthwhile to add has been a factor in holding me back. The other biggest block is time, and that I realise is because I choose not to invest the time into this social media. No longer ! Achieving some early “runs on the board” will help, and my teaching will benefit. As Magette (2014) states, embedding social media in the classroom helps equip students to gain skills, and to become effective communicators. She says learning to effectively communicate on social media is an essential 21st-century skill that students need to be successful with after leaving school. Magette goes on to say that blogging will enable students to learn to think like digital citizens, and with ongoing reminders that their posts in social networks are both public and permanent, they are also learning about social and emotional skills that matter. Seaman & Tinti-Kane, (2013) also said how important it is for teachers to know how to use social media platforms effectively to harness
Descriptive
So how is social media being used in my teaching?
Currently I am using three main types of social media; social curation with the use of pinterest, video through the use of youtube, and content / document by using slides and google drive. However I now intend to explore other types of social online networks I have become aware of through my Mindlab study.
Comparative
The Mindlab survey we completed on the use of social online networks, revealed that I was similar to the rest of group for two of the top four responses, namely videos and content/ document. The other top two responses from our group were social networks (facebook, google +) and blogs, neither of which I am currently using. This doesn't surprise me as blogging is an area that I am still to embrace, driven by my lack of knowledge, confidence and time to participate. I have to thank the Mindlab course for kick starting me on the journey to become a “blogger”. As I said confidence that I have something worthwhile to add has been a factor in holding me back. The other biggest block is time, and that I realise is because I choose not to invest the time into this social media. No longer ! Achieving some early “runs on the board” will help, and my teaching will benefit. As Magette (2014) states, embedding social media in the classroom helps equip students to gain skills, and to become effective communicators. She says learning to effectively communicate on social media is an essential 21st-century skill that students need to be successful with after leaving school. Magette goes on to say that blogging will enable students to learn to think like digital citizens, and with ongoing reminders that their posts in social networks are both public and permanent, they are also learning about social and emotional skills that matter. Seaman & Tinti-Kane, (2013) also said how important it is for teachers to know how to use social media platforms effectively to harness
their potential. The literature review I completed, that looked at the
implementation of digital tools, also had this as one of the common
themes. The articles I researched talked of the need for teachers to
ensure they carefully plan the introduction of social media into their
classroom, which includes making sure that teachers are knowledgeable
about the tool they are planning to introduce.
Critical Reflection
I have found it very interesting and informative gaining more insight to social media. My reading and researching has made me somewhat excited about the changes occurring, but also a little apprehensive about the process of integrating some of these tools in a beneficial way. I see some of my students benefiting a lot by the use of social media. But the literature has reinforced that I need to do this with a sound knowledge base. Again this view was reinforced in the “Establishing safeguards” video. The presenter said that social networks could be part of any programme, as long as we minimise the risks, through having a well thought out process, that has being planned and discussed and that everyone involved knows why we are using the media. In my teaching, to lessen the risks and to enhance the uptake of social media I plan to get the children setting up individual blogs in a private setting, where they start forming a digital portfolio of their learning, reflecting and making weekly posts. I think this should be a good safe start before branching out into connecting with the wider community.
References
Education Council.(2012). Establishing safeguards.[video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/49216520
Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002) Capturing complexity: a typology of reflective practice for teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.
Magette, K. (2014). Embracing social media : a practical guide to manage risk and leverage opportunity. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.(Available in Unitec library).
Critical Reflection
I have found it very interesting and informative gaining more insight to social media. My reading and researching has made me somewhat excited about the changes occurring, but also a little apprehensive about the process of integrating some of these tools in a beneficial way. I see some of my students benefiting a lot by the use of social media. But the literature has reinforced that I need to do this with a sound knowledge base. Again this view was reinforced in the “Establishing safeguards” video. The presenter said that social networks could be part of any programme, as long as we minimise the risks, through having a well thought out process, that has being planned and discussed and that everyone involved knows why we are using the media. In my teaching, to lessen the risks and to enhance the uptake of social media I plan to get the children setting up individual blogs in a private setting, where they start forming a digital portfolio of their learning, reflecting and making weekly posts. I think this should be a good safe start before branching out into connecting with the wider community.
References
Education Council.(2012). Establishing safeguards.[video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/49216520
Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002) Capturing complexity: a typology of reflective practice for teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.
Magette, K. (2014). Embracing social media : a practical guide to manage risk and leverage opportunity. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.(Available in Unitec library).
Seaman, J., & Tinti-Kane, H. (2013). Social media for teaching and
learning. Babson Survey Research Group. Retrieved from http://
www.onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/social-media-for-teaching-and-
learning-2013-report.pdf
Tvoparents. (2013, May 21). Using Social Media in the Classroom.[video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZStaz8Rno
Tvoparents. (2013, May 21). Using Social Media in the Classroom.[video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZStaz8Rno
Comments
Post a Comment