Contribution of Teacher Inquiry Topics to my Communities of Practice: Week 19
This weeks blog I am critically reflecting on how two potential and inspiring digital and/or
collaborative learning related teacher inquiry topics would contribute to my Communities
of Practice.
Topics that I would really like to investigate further are 21st Century skills in particular ICT and Student Inquiry learning. I also wonder how a growth mindset can be incorporated. I am often hearing comments “I don’t know what to do, I can’t do it”, along with students not trying, or giving up to name a few. As Dweck (2006) says people with a growth mindset believe they develop and grow their abilities and intelligence. A growth mindset encourages learning.
“Communities of practice are groups of people who share a concern or a passion for something they do and learn how to do it better as they interact regularly.”—Etienne Wenger
A Community of Practice (CoP) has three distinct elements.
1.Community (mutual engagement). My senior syndicate colleagues, wider school teachers, management and online Mindlab members.
2. Domain (joint enterprise). Our senior syndicate has a shared vision in that our inquiry needs to be more student-led, enabling student agency, engagement and are keen to investigate the Project- Based Learning(PBL) approach. Personalised learning is about moving away from an industrial model where one size fits all, towards learning that fits around student (Bolstad, 2012). Along with this, looking into 21st Century skills in particular ICT.
3.Practice (shared repertoire). Research will take place, along with sharing resources that will encourage our inquiries.
Project-Based Learning (PBL) is an approach to learning that teaches a multitude of strategies critical for success in the twenty-first century. Students drive their own learning through inquiry, as well as working collaboratively to research and create projects that reflect their knowledge. It connects the student to real-world issues and problems. It is where students are required to question, think, and work together to apply learning
(Bell, 2010).
The ITL research says that ICT must support knowledge construction, hence the knowledge construction activity would be impossible without the use of the ICT.
It is commonly being used in classrooms to present or consume information rather than to fundamentally transform learning experiences (ITL Research, 2012).
After discussing with colleagues and doing some research into Project- Based Learning, I can see benefits in spending more time exploring, gathering information and starting to implement this type of learning approach. At present, our inquiry is very much teacher driven. I see a possibility where ICT skills can be incorporated and where we can move away from using ICT at the substitution level. I feel that building in growth mindset discussions would fit nicely. Our students struggle with displaying a positive growth mindset, it is easier to put up roadblocks. Changing the learning approach, from traditional ways to more hands on, I believe will be more engaging hence providing more successes and motivation for further critical, deeper meaningful learning.
Topics that I would really like to investigate further are 21st Century skills in particular ICT and Student Inquiry learning. I also wonder how a growth mindset can be incorporated. I am often hearing comments “I don’t know what to do, I can’t do it”, along with students not trying, or giving up to name a few. As Dweck (2006) says people with a growth mindset believe they develop and grow their abilities and intelligence. A growth mindset encourages learning.
“Communities of practice are groups of people who share a concern or a passion for something they do and learn how to do it better as they interact regularly.”—Etienne Wenger
A Community of Practice (CoP) has three distinct elements.
1.Community (mutual engagement). My senior syndicate colleagues, wider school teachers, management and online Mindlab members.
2. Domain (joint enterprise). Our senior syndicate has a shared vision in that our inquiry needs to be more student-led, enabling student agency, engagement and are keen to investigate the Project- Based Learning(PBL) approach. Personalised learning is about moving away from an industrial model where one size fits all, towards learning that fits around student (Bolstad, 2012). Along with this, looking into 21st Century skills in particular ICT.
3.Practice (shared repertoire). Research will take place, along with sharing resources that will encourage our inquiries.
Project-Based Learning (PBL) is an approach to learning that teaches a multitude of strategies critical for success in the twenty-first century. Students drive their own learning through inquiry, as well as working collaboratively to research and create projects that reflect their knowledge. It connects the student to real-world issues and problems. It is where students are required to question, think, and work together to apply learning
(Bell, 2010).
The ITL research says that ICT must support knowledge construction, hence the knowledge construction activity would be impossible without the use of the ICT.
It is commonly being used in classrooms to present or consume information rather than to fundamentally transform learning experiences (ITL Research, 2012).
After discussing with colleagues and doing some research into Project- Based Learning, I can see benefits in spending more time exploring, gathering information and starting to implement this type of learning approach. At present, our inquiry is very much teacher driven. I see a possibility where ICT skills can be incorporated and where we can move away from using ICT at the substitution level. I feel that building in growth mindset discussions would fit nicely. Our students struggle with displaying a positive growth mindset, it is easier to put up roadblocks. Changing the learning approach, from traditional ways to more hands on, I believe will be more engaging hence providing more successes and motivation for further critical, deeper meaningful learning.
I know I will need to make an effort to connect with others, as it is so easy for me in my
busy life, with outside school commitments to work in my own bubble. A huge exciting
challenge lies ahead.
References:
Bell, S. (2010) Project- Based Learning for the 21st Century: Skills for the Future.
Bolstad, R., Gilbert, J., McDowall, S., Bull, A., Boyd, S., & Hipkins, R. (2012). Supporting future-oriented learning and teaching — a New Zealand perspective. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education. Retrieved from https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/ publications/schooling/109306
Dweck,C. (2006). Mindset: The new psychology of success. Random House. ITL Research. (2012). 21CLD Learning Activity Rubrics.
Retrieved from https://education.microsoft.com/GetTrained/ITL-Research
Wenger, E. (2000). Communities of practice and social learning systems. Organisation, 7 (2) 225-246.
References:
Bell, S. (2010) Project- Based Learning for the 21st Century: Skills for the Future.
Bolstad, R., Gilbert, J., McDowall, S., Bull, A., Boyd, S., & Hipkins, R. (2012). Supporting future-oriented learning and teaching — a New Zealand perspective. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education. Retrieved from https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/ publications/schooling/109306
Dweck,C. (2006). Mindset: The new psychology of success. Random House. ITL Research. (2012). 21CLD Learning Activity Rubrics.
Retrieved from https://education.microsoft.com/GetTrained/ITL-Research
Wenger, E. (2000). Communities of practice and social learning systems. Organisation, 7 (2) 225-246.
Comments
Post a Comment